Creating a Sales Back Order
If you can't dispatch all the products on an order, you can create a Sales Back Order.
If you do not have enough stock to complete an order, you may want to dispatch some items and Back Order the rest.
In Cin7, creating a Back Order will remove the undispatched lines from the original order, and create a second version with the remaining items. This new version will be dispatched when the goods arrive.
1 - Partially Dispatching an Order
The first step in this process is to partially dispatch the order.
- From the Sales Order list page, find the transaction to be partially dispatched.
- Click on the Order Reference to edit the transaction.
- For each line item, click the Qty Dispatched column and enter the quantity you have dispatched.
- Click Save to confirm the changes.
2 - Creating a Back Order
By creating a back order, the items that were not dispatched will be split into a separate - but related - Sales Order.
To do this:
- Find the order, hover over the cog icon, then click Admin.
- From the Actions menu at the top left, click Select Items to Back Order.
- In the window that appears, enter the quantity of items you would like to back order. Alternatively, click Select All to automatically populate the cells with all outstanding items.
- Once complete, click Transfer Products.
- The window that opens will be a new Sales Order that contains only the outstanding items.
- Click Approve Back to List to confirm the order.
The new Sales Order that is created will have the same reference as the original, but with a letter appended to it i.e. a Sales Order with reference ABC1-234 will become ABC1-234-A.
3 - Fully Dispatching the Original Order
Finally, all that remains is to return to the original order and complete it.
To do this:
- From the Sales Order List page, find the original order.
- Click on the Order Reference to edit the order.
- Note that the back ordered items have now been removed from this order.
- Enter a Fully Dispatched Date and an Invoice Date.
- Click Save Back to List.
I have many line items - do I have to dispatch each line individually?
If you have multiple line items in an order, it may be quicker to Fully Dispatch the order first, and then edit those line items that have only been partially dispatched, instead of the other way around.
My back order no longer shows on the original invoice?
When the back order itself has been fully dispatched, it no longer appears on the original invoice.