Inventory Specific Locations
Inventory Specific Locations assign each inventory item to a different Location. This article explains how to allocate, transfer and dispatch products to or from a Location.
Inventory Specific Locations can be used if you need each individual inventory item to be assigned to a different location. It is a more detailed method of locating stock. It can be used as an alternative to the easier Static Locations method.
There are some important points to note about using this method:
- Each inventory item must be manually assigned a location on receiving stock into the system
- Stock-taking becomes more time consuming and can only be done manually via an adjustment
- Inventory Specific Locations cannot be used with the Pick 'n' Pack module
- A high level of accuracy is required - the item that is picked in reality must match the location in the system exactly
- Every time you move an item a Location Transfer must be created in the system
For the reasons above we recommend using this approach sparingly - perhaps with a small subset of your inventory items.
Allocating new stock to a Location
To allocate a new product to a location:
- In either a Purchase Order or an Adjustment, to receive goods in to stock, click in the Qty Received column
- In the box that opens, fill out the Zone and Bin fields
- To assign multiple locations, adjust the Qty and click Add Row to add lines to represent each new Location, like so:
- Click Save
- Enter a Fully Received/Completed date to finalise the transaction
Viewing Stock Locations
Stock locations can be viewed in two places:
- In the Products module, by clicking on the SOH column:
- In the Stock on Hand and Availability Report in the reports dashboard. Make sure to drag the Zones and Bins fields into the report as illustrated below.
Transferring existing stock between Locations
To transfer stock between locations, you will need a special module called Location Transfers. This can be turned on by request from the support team.
To transfer stock between locations:
- From the Left Navigation, select the Bin Location Transfer Module
- Click New Inventory Bin Location Transfers
- In the screen that follows, enter the product you'd like to move
- Click into the Qty Adjusted column and select the inventory item to be moved using the green arrows
- In the Zone and Bin fields, overwrite the location details with the new location
- Click Save
- Enter a completed date and approve the transaction
Dispatching stock from a Location
To dispatch stock from a particular location.
- In a Sales Order, click into the Qty Dispatch column
- From the box that appears select the correct location by clicking the green arrow
- Click Save to confirm, then complete the rest of the transaction as usual
Be aware that if stock is set to FIFO, entering a Fully Dispatched date will automatically dispatch the oldest item, regardless of location. The item must be manually chosen to control which item is to be dispatched.To control which item is to be dispatched, the item must be manually chosen.
Is it possible to print a complete list of pick locations on picking slips?
Unfortunately it is not possible to print a list of possible pick locations. If you dispatch a product first, the Location selected will appear on the pick slip if this option is ticked in the document template editor.